Self Tanning Tips and Tricks
Tips and Tricks to help you achieve the best results from your favorite self tanner!
1 .Exfoliate your skin. Remove dead skin cells before applying self tanner and ensure an even, blotch free tan.
2. Don’t apply tanner on irritated skin. Wax 24 hours before or shave 12 hours before applying self tanner.
3. Apply moisturizer to your knees, elbows and bottoms of your feet. Do this first before applying self tanner. This will create a small barrier so the self tanner does not saturate in those areas.
4. Protect your palms. Use a tanning mit, gloves or wash your hands inbetween and after tanning applications. This will protect the palms of your hands from getting stained. Apply tanner on the back of each hand and rub the backs together after you have applied it everywhere else.
5. Tan before bed. This way the tanner will not stain any clothing. But if you do tan in the morning then it is best to wear black loose fitting clothing.
6. Avoid Deodorant, body spray, perfume and essential oils. These products can interfere with the tanning formula after it is applied and cause unevenness. It is best to wait 6 to 8 hours after applying self tanner.
Tips for maintaining your tan
1. Avoid Water. Do not shower, swim or sweat heavily for 6-8 hours after you apply self tanner.
2. Pat dry. Make sure to pat dry your skin with a towel after showering or swimming so your tan does not come off prematurely.
3. Lightly exfoliate three days after. This will help the tan fade evenly, but you can also apply more self tanner to maintain or deepen your tan.
If you still end up with streaks don’t panic! Just hop in the shower and exfoliate the self tanner off. If that doesn’t work then relax in a bath and add 1 cup of milk to the water. The lactic acid in the milk helps to break down the color.